Sometimes you find an old recipe that brings back some lovely memories, but sometimes that old recipe finds you. My lovely sister-in-law Emma told me the other day that she’d found one of my mother’s old recipes. It has her dear friend, my Aunty Judy’s name on top, so we guess it originally came from her. Emma sent me a photo of the recipe via WhatsApp and as it has few ingredients I decided to try it today. It’s title is Delicious Dessert Cake, and after tasting it hot from the oven I can assure you that it is just that… a Delicious and Decadent Dessert Cake!
I will confess that I tasted this cake hot from the oven. It was divine and if I was to make this for a dinner party, I would serve it with vanilla gelato.
- 500g Self Raising Flour
- 500g Raw Sugar
- 500g Unsalted Butter
- Vanilla Essence
- 5 Eggs
- 125g chopped walnuts
- 2 cans black stoneless cherries (I used the Italian ‘amarena’ variety). Strain but keep syrup aside.
- Grease a 26cm spring form tin well and line with oven paper.
- Melt butter, add sugar and mix well.
- Add flour, eggs & vanilla essence. (I used my homemade vanilla extract). Mix until smooth.
- Pour cake mix into cake tin and top with strained cherries & walnuts.
- Bake in moderate oven (180°C) for 2 hours.
*I placed foil on top of the cake for the last 30minutes to avoid the top burning.
**Best served warm with vanilla gelato and the saved syrup from the cherries drizzled on top!
***The recipe states you can also use apricots… I’d like to try it with peaches or apples.