I am going to post two recipes. I have used both and can’t decide which I prefer. The first one is a recipe that I have used for years and was my classic dessert for dinner parties in the 90’s! The second is one that I have used more recently…… I’ll let you be the judge of which is ‘best’.
Lemon Tart 1
- 250g Plain Flour
- 180g Unsalted Butter (diced)
- pinch salt
- 3 tblsp iced water
- 150g sugar
- 100ml lemon juice
- lemon zest (2 teaspoons)
- 8 egg yolks
- 600ml creme fraìche or sour cream
- Prepare pastry & refrigerate for 20min. Roll out and line a lightly buttered flan tin. (22cm). Line with paper and weight with rice, or oven weights. Bake blind at 200°C for 10min. Remove paper & weights, decrease oven temperature to 180°C and cook for a further 10min. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk egg yolks until pale and fluffy. Add sugar, lemon juice & zest and continue whisking until smooth & well combined. Mix in cream.
- Pour mixture into cooled crust and bake at 180°C for 25min or until set.
*This can be served lukewarm, but I prefer it chilled in the fridge for at least a a couple of hours.
Lemon Tart 2
- 6 tblsp (tablespoons) butter, room temp.
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp heavy cream
- Beat butter with the icing sugar on low speed until combined.
- Add egg yolks, and mix until incorporated. Add half the flour, mix until combined then add the remaining flour, with salt and cream.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to be used, roll out dough to fit into tart case with removable bottom. Prick base with a fork and refrigerate for 30min. Preheat oven to 180°C. place pie weights on baking paper on pastry case and bake for about 15min, until edges are golden. Remove weights and oven paper & return to oven until golden brown all over. (circa 15-20min) Cool completely on wire rack.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 can condensed milk (250ml)
- 125ml lemon juice + 2 tsp lemon zest
- Pinch salt
- Whisk egg yolks until pale & fluffy. Add condensed milk. lemon juice, zest & salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour filling into cooled crust, and bake until set – About 10-13min.
**Lemon Tart can be eaten as is dusted with some icing sugar. I love it with some vanilla gelato and think that a couple of raspberries go very well with it as well.