It’s no secret I love Christmas fruit mince pies, and while I love the classic version, I’m happy to experiment and try other flavour combinations. Last year I made Chocolate Mince Pies using a chocolate pastry paired with my mother’s rich fruit mince filling (link below), but this year I have made mince pies with a gingerbread pastry, and this combination of festive flavours marries very well indeed!
Gingerbread Mince Pies
- 125g butter, chopped and softened
- 90g dark brown sugar
- 230g golden syrup
- 375g plain flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons ginger
Click the link below for the fruit mince filling recipe which can be prepared days, weeks or even months ahead of time: fruit mince filling recipe Otherwise you can buy a jar of store bought fruit mince filling.
- Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale, whipped and creamy.
- Add the golden syrup, sifted flour and ground ginger. Beat until a dough forms.
- Roll out the gingerbread pastry between two sheets of baking paper and refrigerate flat for circa 20 minutes.
- Remove the gingerbread from the fridge. Using a 7.5cm cutter, stamp out 12 discs from the pastry and use them to line a 12-hole cupcake tin. Fill each hole with two teaspoons of the fruit mince mixture.
- Using shaped cutters (I used Christmas tree & snowflake cutters), cut out shapes from pastry and place on top of fruit mince.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the gingerbread pastry is cooked.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar. Keep in an airtight container.