Banana Bread. Banana Loaf. Banana Cake. Some people will tell you there is no difference between them, that they just have different names. I like to think that Banana Bread is more ‘bread’ like (meaning you can eat it with a slather of butter), whilst Banana Loaf is a healthier option to Banana Cake!
I have tweaked a recipe here to make it a little more interesting. I added prunes & walnuts, and sprinkled seeds on the top. I would have added coconut too but at the time of baking there was none in the house.
- 125g butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 100g dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 350g mashed banana (I used 3)
- 265g (1 3/4 cups) self-raising wholemeal flour (Or self raising white flour)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g chopped walnuts
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 100g pitted prunes, chopped roughly
- sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds & flaxseed
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl for 5 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add banana, flour, milk & bicarbonate of soda and mix well.
- Add walnuts & prunes.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the surface. Sprinkle flaxseeds, sunflower & pumpkin seeds over the top & bake for circa 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool. Turn onto a wire rack over a baking tray and set aside to cool.